What are we?

This blog is devoted to people like us who need a daily spiritual outlet and motivation to keep up with our personal scripture study.
Join us as we begin and discuss the Book of Mormon daily--an online Institute class of sorts!

We welcome your comments, your experiences, and your thoughts.

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

1 Nephi 9 and 10

Chapter 9

Nephi makes two sets of records... the larger plates contain the reign of the kings and the wars and contentions of his people (v.4). Nephi is commanded that he should make the smaller plates "for the special purpose that there should be an account engraven of the ministry of my people. (v.3)" "Wherefore the Lord hath commanded me to make these plates for a wise purpose in him, which I know not. (v.5)"

Haven't we been commanded to keep a journal, or an account of our own lives and "people", for which purpose we may know not?"

I think verse 6 is a great one to have highlighted. This verse gives us insight into the character of our Heavenly Father...

(I'm going to go ahead and "highlight" this verse for added effect...)

1 Nephi 9:6- "But the Lord knoweth all things from the beginning; wherefore, he prepareth a way to accomplish all his works among the children of men; for behold, he hath all power unto the fulfilling of all his words. And this it is, Amen."

  • The Lord knoweth all things from the beginning
  • He prepared a way to accomplish his "works" (or plans)
  • He hath all power

Chapter 10

verses 1-3 Lehi predicts the Babylonian captivity

v 4-6 He tells of the coming among the Jews of a Messiah, a Savior, a Redeemer

Messiah: An Aramaic word meaning the anointed.

Savior: One who saves.

Redeemer: Jesus Christ is the great Redeemer of mankind because he, through his atonement, paid the price for the sins of mankind and made possible the resurrection of all people.

verse 6 is another one to highlight:

1 Nephi 10:6 - "Wherefore, all mankind we in a lost and fallen state, and ever would be save they should rely on this Redeemer." (Bold added for emphasis).

I think it is important to emphasize the word RELY.

What does it mean to rely on someone? I rely on my husband, for financial and emotional support. I trust him to be there for me. He is a part of my everyday life and knows me better than any other person on this earth. When times get rough for me, I rely on my husband to help me when I will fall short and do what I cannot...

hhmm... I think this is exactly the type of relationship we should have with our Savior! When we rely on "this Redeemer" that Lehi is teaching about, we will no longer be in a lost and fallen state. Interesting.

v. 7-10 Lehi also tells of the coming of the one who should baptize the Lamb of God... Who we know to be Christ's (2nd?)cousin, John the Baptist

I'm going to skip to verse 17 - 22 (bold added for emphasis)

"17 ...I, Nephi, was ddesirous also that I might see, and hear, and know of these things, by the power of the eHoly Ghost, which is the fgift of God unto gall those who diligently seek him, as well in times of hold as in the time that he should manifest himself unto the children of men.

  18 For he is the asame yesterday, to-day, and forever; and the way is prepared for all men from the foundation of the world, if it so be that they repent and come unto him.

  19 For he that diligently aseeketh shall find; and the bmysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the cHoly Ghost, as well in these times as in times of old, and as well in times of old as in times to come; wherefore, the dcourse of the Lord is one eternal round.

  20 Therefore remember, O man, for all thy doings thou shalt be brought into ajudgment.

  21 Wherefore, if ye have sought to do awickedly in the days of your bprobation, then ye are found cunclean before the judgment-seat of God; and no unclean thing can dwell with God; wherefore, ye must be cast off forever.

  22 And the Holy Ghost giveth aauthority that I should speak these things, and deny them not. "

WOW! What an all-knowing, all-powerful, all-loving Father in Heaven we have! I love how the scriptures are full of information on the character of our Heavenly Father! We truly can grow to know Him as a friend and Father!

signaturepink

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It just seems so simple, if we will rely on our Heavenly Father, we all can be saved! I loved how you related that to Cameron, your companion, your eternal partner...