What are we?

This blog is devoted to people like us who need a daily spiritual outlet and motivation to keep up with our personal scripture study.
Join us as we begin and discuss the Book of Mormon daily--an online Institute class of sorts!

We welcome your comments, your experiences, and your thoughts.

Thursday, March 26, 2009

1 Nephi 17

Sorry for the delay!
Summary: Nephie is commanded to build a ship. His brethren oppose him. He exorts them by recounting the history of God's dealings with Israel. He is filled with the power of God. His brethren are forbidden to touch him, lest the wither as a dried reed.

God is wonderful. I love verse 2: "And so great were the blessings of the Lord upon us, that while we did live upon raw meat in the wilderness, our women did give plenty of suck for their children, and were strong, yea even like unto the men..."
It continually amazes me how the Lord strengthens us in our times of need. He does not expect us to bear our trials alone. He will always be there to support us and give us heavenly strength beyond what we are capable of alone. He "provides means whereby [we] can accomplish the thing which he has commandes [us]" (v. 3)

I have really come to appreciate Nephi's incredible example. When the Lord asked him to build a ship, he didn't even hesitate to obey. He simply said, show me what to do and where I can find what I need. I just love that! He never doubts!

v. 13-14: "And I will be your light in the wilderness; and I will prepare the way before you, if it so be that ye shall keep my commandments; wherefore, inasmuch as ye shall keep my commandments ye shall be led towards the promised land; and ye shall know that it is by me that ye are led...After ye have arrived in the promised land, ye shall know that I, the Lord, am God; and that I, the Lord, did deliver you..." This makes me think that the Lord gives us trials so that we will remember Him and remember that we are dependent on Him.

vs. 41 contains a very important lesson. The people were bitten by serpents, and all they had to do to be healed was look at the rod. But many doubted because the task was so simple. As a result, they died. We need to trust in the Lord. Especially nowadays, it seems that we need to be more mindful of the small miracles that occur everyday innstead of waiting for something huge. Remember: "By small and simple means are great things brought to pass!"

I love how Nephi is so in tune with the spirit. He literally has faith to move mountains. He has faith to use the power of God to teach his brothers. He knows exactly what his purpose is in life and always puts the Lord first. I hope one day that we can have this kind of faith!

I hate to be so brief, but I have 2 crying, sick babies today. I will be more on top of it next week!

No comments: