What are we?

This blog is devoted to people like us who need a daily spiritual outlet and motivation to keep up with our personal scripture study.
Join us as we begin and discuss the Book of Mormon daily--an online Institute class of sorts!

We welcome your comments, your experiences, and your thoughts.

Sunday, April 26, 2009

2 Nephi 22

I had to laugh at myself. I read this chapter on Friday but forgot to do my post yesterday. So today I though, "Oh no, I forgot, and it's probably another really hard Isaiah chapter!" So when I looked again and saw the six verses I laughed.

Since it is so short, I'll include all of the verses.

1 And in that day thou shalt say: O Lord, I will praise thee; though thou wast angry with me thine anger is turned away, and thou comfortedest me.
2 Behold, God is my salvation; I will
trust, and not be afraid; for the Lord Jehovah is my strength and my song; he also has become my salvation.
-This second verse immediately made me think of the song "The Lord is My Light." This chapter, in fact, feels like a hymn of praise. It makes me want to join in and sing too!

3 Therefore, with joy shall ye draw water out of the wells of salvation.
-With this verse, I was reminded of Isaiah 55:1, which says: "Ho, every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters, and he that hath no money; come ye, buy, and eat; yea, come, buy wine and milk without money and without price." We are all invited to come to the Savior and partake in the miracle of the Atonement. I love how it says that it is without money and without price. We don't need money to partake of the blessings of the Atonement, and it is certainly the most "priceless" thing we could partake of.

4 And in that day shall ye say: Praise the Lord, call upon his name, declare his doings among the people, make mention that his name is exalted.
-This verse made me think of missionary work. Sometimes I really wish I had gone on a mission. I would have been forced to open my mouth. I am so content to just live my life without much contact or friendships with non-members. The idea of missionary work makes me uncomfortable. The missionaries in our ward used to come over a lot and challenge us to do missionary work, but we always said, "We'll try, but we just moved here and don't know any of our neighbors or anyone else." Since then, I've tried to be a missionary while commenting on blogs or forums if I have the opportunity, but that's the extent of my missionary work. And almost a year later, I still don't know my neighbors or any non-members outside of Adam's coworkers. And we live in Pennsylvania, so that shows you how little I get out. I really want to "Praise the Lord, call upon his name, declare his doings among the people, make mention that his name is exalted," like this verse says.

5 Sing unto the Lord; for he hath done excellent things; this is known in all the earth.
6 Cry out and shout, thou inhabitant of Zion; for great is the Holy One of Israel in the midst of thee.
-These verses have more praise for the Lord. I finished this chapter feeling really bright and optimistic. It's a short chapter, but it's a wonderful hymn of praise to the Lord.

Tori

1 comment:

Elise said...

Tori, this was worth the wait! It really is an optimistic chapter, isn't it? I love what you said about wishing you had gone on a mission. That really strikes home with me. Thanks for your thoughts!