What are we?

This blog is devoted to people like us who need a daily spiritual outlet and motivation to keep up with our personal scripture study.
Join us as we begin and discuss the Book of Mormon daily--an online Institute class of sorts!

We welcome your comments, your experiences, and your thoughts.

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Jacob 4

I hope it's ok that I post today. I have another busy day tomorrow and I don't want to forget!
Summary: All the prophets worshipped the Father in the name of Christ—Abraham’s offering of Isaac was in similitude of God and his Only Begotten—Men should reconcile themselves to God through the atonement—The Jews shall reject the foundation stone.

I love this chapter! The first section reminds me of the importance of keeping a journal:
3 Now in this thing we do rejoice; and we labor diligently to engraven these words upon plates, hoping that our beloved brethren and our children will receive them with thankful hearts, and look upon them that they may learn with joy and not with sorrow, neither with contempt, concerning their first parents.
They knew the importance of engraving upon the plates so their children could learn from them and know of their testimonies. Our children will want to read our journals. When I write in my journal, I think to myself, I want Brooklynn to read this and know how much I love her, and that I have a testimony.

Verses 6 and 7 teach some very powerful principles:
6 Wherefore, we search the prophets, and we have many revelations and the spirit of prophecy; and having all these witnesses we obtain a hope, and our faith becometh unshaken, insomuch that we truly can command in the name of Jesus and the very trees obey us, or the mountains, or the waves of the sea.
7 Nevertheless, the Lord God showeth us our weakness that we may know that it is by his grace, and his great condescensions unto the children of men, that we have power to do these things.


We can learn from the teachings of prophets, both in ancient times and in modern times. I love that he testifies that we can have such great faith that we can move mountains. I try to keep that in mind when I doubt the small things, or when my faith is lacking in general. I remind myself: If God has the power to move mountains, then surely He can help me with this. Sometimes it is so easy to doubt. But it is important to hold on to the miracles that occur in our lives everyday, to help remind us when we are having doubts. Heavenly Father will answer our prayers and fasts; we just have to have the faith to wait and that He will answer in His own way and time. Verse 7 brings an interesting perspective: Being aware of our own weaknesses helps us appreciate the miracles. How many times have you been lifted up beyond your own ability and strength? I know this has happened with me many times.

Verses 11 and 12 also teach some great principles:
11 Wherefore, beloved brethren, be reconciled unto him through the atonement of Christ, his Only Begotten Son, and ye may obtain a resurrection, according to the power of the resurrection which is in Christ, and be presented as the first-fruits of Christ unto God, having faith, and obtained a good hope of glory in him before he manifesteth himself in the flesh.
12 And now, beloved, marvel not that I tell you these things; for why not speak of the atonement of Christ, and attain to a perfect knowledge of him, as to attain to the knowledge of a resurrection and the world to come?


In these verses, we are reminded that it is thru Christ that we are made perfect both physically and spiritually. We would be nothing without Christ, and we would have nothing to look forward to in the next life without Christ. He gave us the gifts of eternal life and forgiveness. I also love that we are encouraged to learn of Christ, to increase our testimony of Christ. That is something I constantly feel the need to work on because sometimes I forget His significance in my life. He has given us so much--more than we can fathom right now. But I hope to gain a greater understanding and testimony of His love for us and His mission. We owe all we have to Christ, and we must never forget that.

No comments: