What are we?

This blog is devoted to people like us who need a daily spiritual outlet and motivation to keep up with our personal scripture study.
Join us as we begin and discuss the Book of Mormon daily--an online Institute class of sorts!

We welcome your comments, your experiences, and your thoughts.

Thursday, May 7, 2009

2 Nephi 31

Sorry for the delay! I have been super busy with school!

Nephi tells why Christ was baptized—Men must follow Christ, be baptized, receive the Holy Ghost, and endure to the end to be saved—Repentance and baptism are the gate to the strait and narrow path—Eternal life comes to those who keep the commandments after baptism. Between 559 and 545 B.C.


I love this chapter! This chapter is about Christ being baptized by John the Baptist. Nephi teaches a very important principle in this chapter:
5 And now, if the Lamb of God, he being holy, should have need to be baptized by water, to fulfil all righteousness, O then, how much more need have we, being unholy, to be baptized, yea, even by water!
6 And now, I would ask of you, my beloved brethren, wherein the Lamb of God did fulfil all righteousness in being baptized by water?
7 Know ye not that he was holy? But notwithstanding he being holy, he showeth unto the children of men that, according to the flesh he humbleth himself before the Father, and witnesseth unto the Father that he would be obedient unto him in keeping his commandments.


I can't help but feel an immense appreciation for Christ and His perfect example to us and love for us. I also can't help but feel so unworthy when I read of this. He was perfect in every way. Still, He had to be baptized. I can't help but realize how much I need to improve, how much I need to grow. I am so far from the bar that Heavenly Father has set for me because I have grown lazy. Yet, He has not given up on me. He is still encouraging me in all that I do. I have so much to learn before I reach my potential.
Two of my favorite verses are at the end of this chapter:
20 Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life.
21 And now, behold, my beloved brethren, this is the way; and there is none other way nor name given under heaven whereby man can be saved in the kingdom of God. And now, behold, this is the doctrine of Christ, and the only and true doctrine of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, which is one God, without end. Amen.

Nephi has given us the way whereby we might be saved at the last day. We must endure to the end. This life was not given to us so that we could give up. It was given to us so we could learn and grow, and become perfect, even as Christ is perfect. We must "feast upon the words of Christ." Do not take the scriptures for granted. They are there to help us. We should read them everyday. You never know when you will come across something that will help you. What if you miss it because you did not take the time to study your scriptures? The scriptures are full of Christ's teachings and manifestations of His love for us. They can improve our attitude, as I have seen first hand. They can make our whole day better. They can answer questions. "Feast upon the words of Christ." "Endure to the end."

~CHELSEA

No comments: