What are we?

This blog is devoted to people like us who need a daily spiritual outlet and motivation to keep up with our personal scripture study.
Join us as we begin and discuss the Book of Mormon daily--an online Institute class of sorts!

We welcome your comments, your experiences, and your thoughts.

Monday, October 12, 2009

Helaman Ch. 13

Read it HERE.

Summary: (The prophecy of Samuel, the Lamanite, to the Nephites. Comprising chapters 13 to 15 inclusive.) Samuel the Lamanite prophesies the destruction of the Nephites unless they repent—They and their riches are cursed—They reject and stone the prophets, are encircled about by demons, and seek for happiness in doing iniquity. About 6 B.C.

We're starting to get into the Samuel the Lamanite chapters, which is fun. It is always nice to re-read what he has to say to the Nephites here in Zarahemla.

We learn that destruction is awaiting these people, but also that they would have already been destroyed if not for the few righteous among them (vs. 12,13). We also learn that when the wicked cast the righteous out, they will then be "ripe for destruction." (vs. 14)

But what happened to the Nephites to make them so far gone? What are they doing that makes them turn away from God so strongly? Samuel answers these questions with some of his counsel:

~They have set their heart upon riches more than the things of God. (vs. 21)
~They are not grateful for what God has given them. (vs. 22)
~They are filled with so much pride they will boast, persecute others, and even murder. (vs. 22)
~They not only throw out prophets who come, they murder them. (vs. 24)
~They have procrastinated repentance. (vs. 38)
~They have sought happiness in doing wickedness. (vs. 38)

I think the key to the seriousness of these sins is found in verse 29:

"Yea, how long will ye suffer yourselves to be led by foolish and blind guides? Yea, how long will ye choose darkness rather than light?"

They chose darkness. You cannot make a true choice between darkness and light if you do not have knowledge of those things. They know what is right but they choose to disregard the eternal consequences for their actions.

What choices do I make on a daily basis that might draw myself farther from my Father in Heaven? What activities do I spend my time in? Do I have too much pride? Do I love my things? Do I get more pleasure from buying something new than from strengthening my testimony? Where do I put my efforts? Are my thoughts consumed by things they shouldn't be?

These are all questions I had to ask myself. The Nephites in this chapter knew the choice they were making. So do I; I just need to make sure I don't choose wrongly.

Elise

No comments: