What are we?

This blog is devoted to people like us who need a daily spiritual outlet and motivation to keep up with our personal scripture study.
Join us as we begin and discuss the Book of Mormon daily--an online Institute class of sorts!

We welcome your comments, your experiences, and your thoughts.

Friday, July 10, 2009

Alma Chapter 8

Summary: Alma preaches and baptizes in Melek—He is rejected in Ammonihah and leaves—An angel commands him to return and cry repentance unto the people—He is received by Amulek, and the two of them preach in Ammonihah. About 82 B.C.

When I read this chapter, there were quite a few things I found to be impressive, and a few thoughts that I had. So for this post, I want to share those with you.

1: Verse 10: 10 Nevertheless Alma labored much in the spirit, wrestling with God in mighty prayer, that he would pour out his Spirit upon the people who were in the city; that he would also grant that he might baptize them unto repentance.
-And yet, the people still hardened their hearts and did not hearken to his words. They knew who he was, that he was the high priest. But they said that since he gave up the judgement seat and they are not of his church, he has no power over them. That is sad. I think that all prophets probably have this experience. They pray and pray and pray for people, but agency still plays in part. They can not be forced to repent, they still have to choose. But what sadness it must cause the prophets.

2: As Alma left the city of Ammonihi, an angel appeared unto him to tell him that he has been faithful, and he needs to return to the city to preach to the people, otherwise they will be destroyed. He also lets him know that he was the angel that delivered the first message to him, from the Lord. I assume he is the same angel that came and asked why he was persecuting the church with the sons of Mosiah. I thought that was kinda neat that the Lord sent the same angel.

3: I was very impressed that after Alma had received this message, he SPEEDILY returned to the city. Impressive. What faith, after what had just happened to him in that city.

4: When Alma asked Amulek for something to eat, he tells him that an angel appeared to him and told him to receive Alma unto his house. I wonder if that was the same angel too?

5: Verse 27 says that Alma tarried many days with Amulek before he started preaching again. I wonder if he was teaching Amulek....since soon, Amulek basically becomes a partner in preaching with Alma.

Verse 32: And it came to pass that they went forth and began to preach and to prophesy unto the people, according to the spirit and power which the Lord had given them.

And if you have read about Alma and Amulek before, you know that they were very powerful and very faithful. There are quite some stories coming up about them. What trust they must have had in the Lord. It's a good example for us - that no matter what, we just need to trust in the Lord. If we do then we will be filled with the spirit, his power, and be protected.

2 comments:

Elise said...

I love the stories about Alma and Amulek. It is great to read again about how they started their companionship. I also find it impressive that Alma returns "speedily" to the people. I don't know if I would have this much faith, but I think if an angel came out and told me, I might not want to dawdle. Alma truly was a great leader to give up his chief judgeship in order to teach the people.

And I think you're right--Alma must have been spending those days teaching Amulek. Considering how powerful of a teacher Amulek became, he must have been very receptive to the spirit, and Alma must have been a great teacher.

Ashley said...

I just found your blog from my friend Merrianne's. I love what you do on your blog!
Come by my blog to enter some fun giveaways! Not many people have entered yet, so your chances of winning are really good!