What are we?

This blog is devoted to people like us who need a daily spiritual outlet and motivation to keep up with our personal scripture study.
Join us as we begin and discuss the Book of Mormon daily--an online Institute class of sorts!

We welcome your comments, your experiences, and your thoughts.

Saturday, August 1, 2009

Alma 27

Here we read about the incredible generosity and forgivness of the Nephites towards the Ammonites. The Amalekites, who really have an incredible capacity for wickedness, once again go against the Anti-Nephi-Lehites, who are so intent on their change of heart that they are willing to lay down and die rather than kill again. Ammon tries to convince the reformed Lamanites to rely on the Nephites, but their king is scared that the Nephites won't want to help them. He tells Ammon that his people are willing to be slaves to the Nephites. I am amazed by the humility of the Anti-Nephi-Lehies. They would rather be slaves than defend themselves and risk their salvation again.

When Ammon goes to meet Alma, it says :

17 The joy of Ammon was so great even that he was full; yea, he was swallowed up in the joy of his God, even to the exhausting of his strength; and he fell again to the earth.

18 Now was not this exceeding joy? Behold, this is joy which none receiveth save it be the truly penitent and humble seeker of happiness.

I have to admit that I can't really imagine feeling this way. But I do feel better because it says that the joy of Alma and the other brothers of Ammon was also great, but not so much that they fell to the earth. I wonder what it would be like to feel the joy of God so much that I collapsed, but I think it's fine even if I don't.

The Nephites not only allow the Anti-Nephi-Lehies to come live in their land, they give up a large portion of their land to them and offer to guard the borders from the Amalekites. I am touched by their love for their former enemies.

Finally, I like how the Ammonites are described (aren't you glad they stopped going by the Anti-Nephi-Lehies? Too many hyphens). 27 And they were among the people of Nephi, and also numbered among the people who were of the church of God. And they were also distinguished for their zeal towards God, and also towards men; for they were perfectly honest and upright in all things; and they were firm in the faith of Christ, even unto the end. I sure hope that I can strive to be more like them. I haven't committed nearly the sins that they had, but I know that I still have the need for repentance and greater zeal. I hope we can all strive to be more perfectly honest and upright like the Ammonites, and more generous and forgiving like the Nephites.

1 comment:

Elise said...

Wow, when I think of people who have eternal perspective, I think of these people. It is truly amazing that they can focus so well on their salvation. I also love what you said about the Amalekites having an incredible capacity for wickedness. I have to say, I hadn't thought about it quite in those terms before, and it makes me think of some of the other wicked groups of people in the scriptures (or the world). Great thoughts, Tori!